Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A splendid torch

This is the true Joy in Life: the being used for a purpose recognized by oneself as a mighty one; the being a Force of Nature, rather than a feverish, selfish, little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and for as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.  I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake.  Life is no brief candle to me.  It is a sort of splendid torch that I've got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment